Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Scan shows anterior minor dislocation of the shoulder. Normal with surgery or only exercises?

i am 23 year old male,I dislocated my shoulder 2 years ago while falling during a football match, though the pain was intense at that time, It reduced considerably by the next day, so i ignored it a muscle pull,had no problems after that, until recently i slipped on the stairs and in order to regain balance i held the railing with my hand and with a pop sound the shoulder came out , though it was ok after some time. MRI and CT scan revealed Anterior dislocation of the shoulder on a minor scale. I have taken 3-4 opinions ,they mostly say that surgery can be avoided due to my young age,though the ruptured tissue will never heal. Exercises could be of help My question is should i go for a surgery or just continue with the exercises, If so will the shoulder be normal again?. I have a very strong apprehensiveness while doing anything with my right hand, thus am unable to play or move around my hand.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Shoulder dislocations typically occur when the restraining ligaments and muscles are damaged or become lax and therefore the head of the humerus cannot stay in its normal position. Since you have a history of trauma it implies that there was some form of damage to the joint capsule because of which the dislocation has occurred. The shoulder joint cannot heal by itself in this situation and is therefore notorious for recurrent dislocations. If the degree of dislocation is quite small and you do not have recurrent episodes then active exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles can help you in keeping the shoulder joint in its place somewhat. However, if it is too distressing then you can go in for surgery which would correct the anatomic abnormalities.
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor