Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Pulmonary embolism, no swelling, breathlessness. Taking acitrom. How long to continue medication?

I have had a mild case of pulmonary embolism I use the word mild as there was no swelling or breathlessness. I have been taking Acitrom to maintain a level of 2 to 2.5. How long will I have to take the medication for? I assume Acitrom does not cure it is a preventive medication so how is it decided when to stop the medication.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  68
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

As you have said that you are using oral anticoagulant acitrom and keeping the inr 2-2.5 . We usually give this medicine for 4- 6 months if you have the first attack of pulmonary embolism , then do a pulmonary angiogram after 6 months

Yes you are right that is prevents the further clot formation but also a treatment to dissolve your small clot in lungs

Hope this helps

Answered: Wed, 11 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor