Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Pain in abdomen, soreness, dull ache. Gallbladder and liver problems. What is wrong?

I m aged 34 and 25 weeks pregnant (first pregnancy). I have a pain in my upper right abdomen that begins under my bra band (around the lowest rib), near the centre - I have had it for four weeks now. It is sore to touch in one specific place and the pain changes from being a sharp and stabbing (the feeling of tissue being ripped) to a dull ache sometimes. It hurts the more I move and specifically move my right arm or side. I ve had to take sick leave from work as this pain is so bad. The pain, by the end of the day, extends around my lower ribs, under my arm, up by back / shoulder blade and sometimes into my neck. I have had an ultra sound which has ruled out any problems with my gallbladder or liver. It did show up mild hydro nephrosis in my right kidney but I have been told that this would not explain the pain at the front. One doctor said it might be an epigastric hernia as the area was swollen, which was then ruled out by an ER consultant who said he thought it might be a stomach related issue due to the heartburn I ve been having. However, it doesn t feel like I imagine a stomach ulcer would feel. Plus the pain doesn t alter depending on what I ve eaten or when I ve eaten. I find relief when lying down but do experience a very mild, dull ache around my side  rib and back if I lie on my right side.  I have tried acupuncture for the pain but it hasn t helped yet.  I m concerned about how to manage the pain for the rest of my pregnancy. The baby hasn t been affected by this. 
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response me also its looks like gastritis... in pregnancy the gastric emptying is reduced and so you are having continuous pain...start a ppi and see if it reduces...

Dr. Ashish Verma
Answered: Tue, 31 Dec 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor