Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Does Tums work better than Dexilant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2840 Questions
Hi, Is it better to take tums for indigestion/IBS or a proton inhibitor like Dexilant? Please note that I am a high risk patient for osteoporosis and diabetes, based on family history and gestational diabetes.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern about proton pump inhibitors. In looking at whether to take the Dexilant I would consider the risks vs benefits.

If you have severe acid reflux or peptic ulcer disease, then calcium carbonate (Tums) would be unlikely to be adequate. The benefit, if the PPI was used for short duration, would likely outweigh the risks, providing it is not used long term.

If you have chronic acid reflux or gastritis, you can try Tums and see if it is enough for you. For some people, the calcium actually causes increased stomach irritation and acid production that is problematic. For others, it does the trick.

Another option would be an H2 blocker such as ranitidine (Zantac 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg once a day). This medication (which is now over the counter) can be used for indigestion as well as ulcers. H2 blockers are generally safer than PPIs.

I thought you might find the following article useful about these 3 types of treatments. It won't show up as a blue link, so to see it, you'll have to copy and paste it into your search bar.

Some people find occasional use of the over the counter supplement deglycyrrhizinated licorice to be helpful with stomach problems.

One more thing I'd like to add: IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. There is no test that shows IBS. It should only be used as a diagnosis if all other possible causes for the same symptoms have been ruled out, such as with a Celiac blood test, colonoscopy, and other imaging studies.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor