Does Tums work better than Dexilant?

Question
Hi, Is it better to take tums for indigestion/IBS or a proton inhibitor like Dexilant? Please note that I am a high risk patient for osteoporosis and diabetes, based on family history and gestational diabetes.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your concern about proton pump inhibitors. In looking at whether to take the Dexilant I would consider the risks vs benefits.

If you have severe acid reflux or peptic ulcer disease, then calcium carbonate (Tums) would be unlikely to be adequate. The benefit, if the PPI was used for short duration, would likely outweigh the risks, providing it is not used long term.

If you have chronic acid reflux or gastritis, you can try Tums and see if it is enough for you. For some people, the calcium actually causes increased stomach irritation and acid production that is problematic. For others, it does the trick.

Another option would be an H2 blocker such as ranitidine (Zantac 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg once a day). This medication (which is now over the counter) can be used for indigestion as well as ulcers. H2 blockers are generally safer than PPIs.

I thought you might find the following article useful about these 3 types of treatments. It won't show up as a blue link, so to see it, you'll have to copy and paste it into your search bar.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/proton-pump-inhibitors

Some people find occasional use of the over the counter supplement deglycyrrhizinated licorice to be helpful with stomach problems.

One more thing I'd like to add: IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. There is no test that shows IBS. It should only be used as a diagnosis if all other possible causes for the same symptoms have been ruled out, such as with a Celiac blood test, colonoscopy, and other imaging studies.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.