Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Polio patient since childhood, weak muscles. Is it possible to cure through surgery?

Polio attack during childhood, one leg smaller than the other. i am 48 is attacked by polio during my childhood. my right leg is smaller than the left one and thi muscle is weak unable to perform properly than earlier i am losing self confidence due to this. So is it possible to cure through surgery. If so let me know the best hospital and place..And also
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  251
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Dear jimmy,you got polio in your child hood and now having week muscles and one limb shorter than other, by surgical means,sorry ,there is now surgical way to improve your weakness and increase your shortened limb,as the damaged done tour nerve by polio virus is permanent and it had caused a perm net damage to your muscles ,which resultant in shorten in your limb.
you can improve your muscle strength with physiotherapy ( exercise)you should not loose your confidence ,and you should know that great people in this world were handicapped ,take the example of Miss Hellan Killer , has discovered learning system for blind was herself blind.leo pastuer discover of many important thing was handicaped
Answered: Fri, 20 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Hi Jimmy,
Leg lengthening procedures are possible and are done in selected centres. you can expect to gain 5-12 cm through this. However, it a painful procedure and one which is associated with several complications. Dr Amar Sarin at B L Kapur Memorial Hospital Action Cancer Institute, Nova Surgical Center in Delhi is good. Dr Subhash Shalya at Bone Joints Care Foundation of India, A-74, Sarita Vihar, New delhi, 110076 is also very experienced.
Hope this helps
Answered: Fri, 20 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor