Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Painful, swollen sublingual gland on left side of tongue, white bumps on gums. Chews tobacco. Reason?

I have a swollen sublingual gland on the left side of my tongue that is somewhat painful. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it about a 2-3. I noticed some white spots (looks like Canker sores) on the sublingual gland. It hurts when I stick my tongue out and move it around, but not terribly. The pain has spread a little bit to the right, but the swelling on the left surpasses that of the right. I ve been using chewing tobacco for about 2 weeks now, and have noticed some white bumps on my gums, but nothing too terrible. I m just kind of paranoid. It doesn t hurt to swallow , though I have had some congestion which makes my throat a little bit soar, but nothing really noticeable unless I focus on it. I have had a lot of salt intake with the chewing tobacco and sunflower seeds. Sometimes I get a headache. Earache- didn t notice anything until I read an article about salivary gland stuff and it mentioned ear pain, so I may be tricking myself into thinking there is some pain there.
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1572
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

As u told me about your problem,i think its a salivary gland infection. may be its baterial infection(also called sialadenitis) cause pain. fever and abcess. Bacterial infection is generally one-sided salivary gland swelling.Also u told me you have white spot on gland, if this spots hurts and you notice a swelling around it, it can be oral infection.Warm saline gargles would help with this. or if it doesn't pain and adherent to surface , it can be leukoplakia(precancerous stage) and needs to be seen by a doctor. stop tobacco chew, it is harmful to you. you can take antiboitics tempararily. and kindly visit your dentist and Ent specialist as soon as possible..

Have a nice time... take care
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor