Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Pain in the upper teeth, conebeam CT showed maxillary mucositis. Meaning and treatment options?

I have been in a lot of pain with my upper teeth . I have had a conebeam Ct and was diagnosed with residual periapical inflammatory lesion or maxillary mucositis . This has not been explained to me yet. Could you possibly explain what mucositis is and how it can be corrected. I believe the periapical inflammatory lesions do need surgery . Thanks for your reply.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  114
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
mucositis is medical term describing the infection and inflammation in mucosa( inner part/linning of mouth,sinus,etc.)
maxillary sinus mucositis- is what u have been asking for i think it the mucosal linning of maxillary sinus is inflammed due to infection..
residual periapical inflammatory lesion- it indicates that any of your extracted tooth (may be rct treated) had some lesion most probably- a cyst or grannuloma which has not been removed during their extraction or has not resolved yet.. it typically is around the root region of tooth (periapical)..
the treatment for both includes antibiotics both local and oral along with anti-inflammatory medicines, surgical excision/curretage of residual lesion.. and if tooth is present- repeat RCT and Apicectomy.. and in sinus also sometimes surgery is required if lesion extends inside its linning also.
i think u had some periapical lesion in your premolar or molar tooth of upper jaw bone, which has infected your maxillary sinus.. and the size of lesion and tooth existence will decide treatment plan..
you must consult an oral maxillofacial surgeon for surgery...
take care..
Answered: Tue, 26 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor