Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Pain in the tongue. Discomfort while eating. Need to see a dentist?

last night i started to feel some pain on the right side of my tongue , along the inside gums on the same side, and on the floor of the mouth same side connected to the gums. i am not sure what it is but it happened fairly quickly and i ve had steady discomfort and pain when i eat ever since. i do have a molar on the right side that has been decaying for quite some time, but i have not had it pulled due to lack of health benefits to make it affordable. if i apply pressure to the skin under the jaw bone i can feel pain inside which connects with the pain in the mouth. i would like to know how serious this is and how soon should i see a dentist? will doctors/nurses at a hospital be able to diagnose and/or treat it?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello & welcome
As you said that there is a carious molar tooth on the same side you are feeling the symptoms this may be a periapical infection, and now this is spreading.
so you have to immediately visit your dentist for further clinical investigation, otherwise this may lead in a serious space infection.
go for a check X-RAY, treatment will be either RCT/extraction.
in the mean toime you can start up with an antibiotic course including amoxicilline 500 mg TDS, metrogyl 400 mg TDS and ibuprofen 400 mg (SOS)
thanks & t5ake care.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there,

Your molar tooth on the right side seems to have decayed badly and the infection has spread to the surrounding tissue like the cheek mucosa and gums. periapical granuloma or abscess caused by infection at the root portion of tooth leads to pain in the underlying bone.Antibiotic course of augmentin for 3 days along with NSAIDS's will make you feel better but i suggest you to visit a dentist, get a X ray examination of the tooth to confirm the spread of infection.Root canal treatment can be done to eradicate the infection and save the tooth, take care .
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Definitly you should see your dentist as early as you can. your history suggests infection in the decayed teeth due to which you have pain in the floor of the mouth and along the side of the tongue may be due to trauma from the decayed tooth i mean there might be irregular surface which is rubbing your tongue leading to pain . So smoothening the sharp or irregular area of the teeth will reduce the pain causing factor to the tongue and along with it the decayed tooth has to be treated . Rootcanal treatment will be the treatment adviced in this condition followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics. Hope this would help you.
Thank you.
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

As per your clinical history i suppose that there is carious molar on the same side where you are feeling the symptoms there could be a presence of periapical infection.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist get a checkup done, take an x-ray of the region.
Depending upon the x-ray root canal treatment or extraction of the tooth can be performed.
Start with the course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash rinses.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello Willard,
Thanks for posting your query.
Pain may be due to the decayed molar in which the decay has spread into periapical region causing pain on gums,tongue etc.
I would suggest you to visit a dentist soon.
Thro' clinical as well as radiological evaluation,tooth has to be restored or root canal treated.
Take complete course of antibiotics too.
If the decay is very severe,tooth has to be extracted.
Take vitamin becosules,c,iron supplements.
Use fluoridated toothpaste and soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your teeth.
Use Listerine mouthrinse to gargle.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor