Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Pain in left arm ,chest pain while breathing,movement of skin between shoulder and chest. History of hard hit on chest with cracking sound. Broken ribs?

I am a karate student and was recently hit in the chest hard enough to hear cracking/popping sounds. I was hit between the left should and my chest (twice actually). It is difficult to move my left arm in some positions though I can move it without any pain in other positions. I can not pick up heavy loads and I feel pain when I breath in. Additionally my skin just between the shoulder and the chest moves in and out when I breath.

Based on previous experience (also from karate injuries) I am fairly certain I have broken or cracked one or more ribs and also have what I suspect is a minor flail chest condition. The pain is similar to a cracked rib I had on my lower right side approximately a year ago.

I have been able to manage the pain with Tylenol and Advil, I can take reasonably deep breaths and do most activities as long as they are not strenuous. Coughing is tough but doable.

Should I do anything more for this or like before, wait out the roughly 6 weeks it took previously to heal.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, Thanks for using HCM.

After hit in chest difficult to move left arm in some positions, unable to pick up heavy loads feeling pain when breath in, skin moveing in and out when breathing suggests thay you have displaced shoulder or injured any muscle and there may be some rib injury also. Skin moving with respiration suggests injury to lung. You need to restrict movement now, get xray of shoulder joint and chest and consult your doctor for examination and management ASAP.
Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Lohit
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
First rule out any fracture in one or more ribs.
If there is no fracture, nothing to worry, it will be alright gradually.
Go for x-ray chest for having any fracture.
Consult orthopedic surgeon and get examined.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor