What causes painful breathing post injury of upper chest?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I was in a fight and kicked in my upper chest between my breasts two days ago. It still hurts the same. Hurts to touch,hurts to breathe at night on my side and back. Im nervous something's bruised or worse.Could u give me insight into possible conditions?Also, the pain is severe,beyond a 10 especially at night...Will they do a cat scan or chest x-ray at the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
xray will be start. CT will depend on severity

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Trauma to the chest and painful breathing and touch and posture is worth assessment for any rib fractures. As you mentioned a place between breasts so there is a sternum there where all ribs attach. Odds for breaking are there but less. It looks like a musculoskeletal complaint. Now what abs they will do will depend after assessing the area with physical examination .chest x ray and detailed exam would be a probable start and if need be then CT might be advised to sort out any deeper trouble but I am sure it won't come to that. Rest and take some pain killers and muscle relaxants like tizanidine and hush to ER at an earliest convenience.
But as you are breathing ok with no hunger for air indicates you are out of grave injury like collapsed lung or flail chest.
Get to ER and let them take care of you.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX