Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

On thyroxin, experiencing stomach pains and back pains, ultrasound shows calculi in gallbladder. Any alternate to surgery ?

My 25 yr old daughter, with thyroid problem (on thyroxin 50mg everyday & also type 2 diabetic & a bit overweight ), has been experiencing stomach pains and back pains. Abdominal ultrasound result: 2 mobile gallbladder calculi noted, bilary tree not dilate; patchy change of fatty liver . We went and saw a specialist and advised to have the gallbladder removed. Is this there any other alternative other than gallbladder removal?
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Your daughter has 3 medical problem Diabetes type II, Hypothyroidism, and Gall bladder calculi.
If her abdominal pain is related to these calculi, surgical removal is one of the good treatment option.
If you are reluctant for surgery you can discuss about Lithotripsy ( ESWL).
Medical management is please check Lipid profile and if required Lipid lowering drugs like statin and OBT oral bile acid therapy with UDCA, along with diet modifications.
If the calculi are mobile complication like obstruction of bile duct and jaundice can occur.
Please discuss with your treating doctor/Surgeon.
Take Care
Good Luck.
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor