Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

149 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest medication for ureter stone

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9672 Questions
I have been diagnosed with stone there a way that the diagnosed stone can be removed naturally or with medicines.? Do i need necessarry to go for some surgery considering? thanks
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide few more details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

Based on the report of Ultrasound Scanning that you have uploaded you have 7.3 mm size stone impacted in left upper ureter with back pressure changes in kidney as revealed by hydronephrosis and hydroureter and perinephric fat stranding .

The modality of treatment in upper ureteric stone is governed by these factors .
I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Do you have repeated episodes of severe pain in Left loin or abdomen?
2) Do you have vomiting ?
3) Do you have fever?

The treatment options are
1) If the pain is tolerable You can expect the stone to pass out spontaneously within a week or two with following treatment
a) Antibiotic like Ceprofloxacin and Drotaverine twice daily
b) Tomsulosin once daily .
c) Drink more water
d) Repeat Ultrasound Scanning after two weeks and decide about the treatment depending upon the site of stone ,degree of hydronephrosis and symptoms at that particular time .In most of the cases stone up to size of 8 mm pass out spontaneously with this treatment

2) If the pain is severe and associated with fever and vomiting indicative of infection, should be treated endoscopically by an procedure called URS where the stone is fragmented and these fragments are picked up and delivered out and residual fragments pass out through urine .

3) In some cases stone migrates up in kidney while doing endoscopic procedure in such event a tube called Double J stent is put in ureter and stone is fragmented by an procedure called Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (E S W L),The stone fragments pass out without any pain .

Your treating Urologist is the best judge to decide about the modality of treatment depending upon the factors mentioned above .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist