Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Old aged, diabetic, have gangrene in foot, advised leg amputation. How to save leg?

My mother in law is 74 yrs old and she has high blood sugar (522), now she started to have gangrene in her foot . the doctors said that she should amputate her leg. Is there a way not to amputate? they didn t make a picture of her leg. they just checked it and saw that it was in bad condition. Can you please help us? is there any medication that she should take to stop this gangrene? thank you
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Your mother is having uncontrolled diabetes with gangrene in her foot. Gangrene
can be clinically diagnosed and there will a line of demarcation to assess the blood supply area or a vascular sono study will reveal till what area the blood supply is good. No medication to stop this gangrene. Early amputation and good control of diabetes with insulin is the only way to save the remaining limb.
Best wishes
Answered: Sat, 27 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor