Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Newborn seems to have hyper extension of neck. What type of specialist should be consulted to detect injury?

Hi, my newborn was Born face presentation and has been putting her head all the way touching her back. This is exactly how she was pulled out vaginally. A nurse told me she may have hyperextension of the neck . What type of specialist should she been seen by to diagnose if there is an injury from delivery? Thanks so much for your response
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  397
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
First, congratulations on the new addition to your family.
Although birth trauma is occasionally the cause of unusual postures in newborn infants, these issues are often a sign of a developing neurological deficit that had its beginnings before birth. For example, neck hyperextension, especially when it is associated with shoulder shrugging, is sometimes an early sign of cerebral palsy. On the other hand, neck hyperextension may just be a manifestation of weak neck muscles, and this condition often corrects over time.
Your pediatrician is the first person to see about this problem. If it's warranted, he/she can refer you to a pediatric neurologist.
I hope things go well!
Answered: Wed, 7 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor