My heart rate increases then stops suddenly. Should I get this checked ?

My heart rate increases then stops suddenly. Should I get this checked? I m not sure if I m imaging this or if it s just stress from school that s causing it. My heart beat tends to increase suddenly, it begins to race as I m just standing or sitting down. Suddenly, it almost seems to totally stop for a few seconds, then it goes back to normal. I get this tight feeling in my chest and choking feeling in my throat as it happens. The whole episode takes about 3-6 seconds. In the last month, I ve had these episodes about 5 to 6 times. Like I said, I could be either standing around (not doing any physical activity) and I ve even had one in the shower. I m not sure what it could be. I ve looked up some symptoms and apparently it could be tachycardia but like I mentioned here, I don t know if it s just stress related (school and work) or a serious problem. I m 19 years old. I weigh 125lbs. I m 5 7 . Thank you for any information.
Mon, 14 Dec 2009