What causes nausea and persistent sweating while weaning off of Bystolic?

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX yes this is a followup. I started weaning from the bystolic 2.5mg on Nov 20. 12.5 for 4 days, then 6.25 for 4 days, then 3.125 for 3 days. Last dose on Thursday, Nov 30. On 12-6 I suddenly experienced bounceback blood pressure of 170/90 and 158 heart beat. Yesterday two episodes not as big or frightening. I thought any problem would have occurred in the 4 days on no dose. How many days more do you think I will to have some bounce back issues? I really haven't been great, heart feels "agitated" but no problems like sweating, nausea, dizzy. XXXXXXX Shanks
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
the med is no longer there to decrease the readings

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the delayed reply

Bystolic is one of the meds that can control the blood pressure and heart rate.

In persons with a history of high blood pressure, when the medication is stopped, the pressure can increase.

Increased heart rate can also occur if this was one of the reasons the medication was being used.

The increased blood pressure and heart rate are not due to withdrawal symptoms from stopping the medication but occur because the medication is no longer there to control the blood pressure and heart rate eg if a person is on meds for high blood sugar and stop the medication for the blood sugar, then the blood sugar readings will increase.

You may need a different medication, that you can tolerate and works for you, to help with your blood pressure and heart rate esp a heart rate of 158, that would be frightening for anyone.
If you are also stressed for any reason, this can affect the heart rate.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
My BP and heart rate have been normal except for these three spikes. Avg is 118/71 with beat 68-75 So don’t know what caused these sudden surges. Before beta blocker avg was 135/85 with beat around 80. So I’m assuming in another few days or weeks my blood pressure will return to 135/85 or so. Biggest concern now is erratic heart beat and lots of palpitations So you believe I’m past the medicine still being in my system. I have had some issues with anxiety in the past year so maybe that has played a big part.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
should definitely be out of your body by now

Detailed Answer:
HI

I agree the heart palpitations are a concern.

In terms of the medication, the half life is approx 12 to 19 hours and this is the time it takes for the amount of drug in the body to decrease by half.
Takes 3 to 5 for it to disappear from the body which would be 36 hours to approx 4 days.

This means that by now, the medication would be no longer in your body since the last dose was Nov 30th.

Stress and anxiety can cause palpitations, one of the most common causes actually, can also affect your blood pressure.
It can be hard to deal with anxiety as well
Dr. Michelle Gibson James