Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Mild tooth discomfort, swelling, pus busted out, yellow, terrible taste. Can it be treated?

I have been having mild tooth discomfort for a while behind my right back molar but this morning i woke up in a lot of pain. i felt like my gum was so swollen that it was about to cover up my back tooth. I gargled salt water and took some Tylenol and a little bit later a pocket of fluid like pus busted. It was yellow and tasted terrible. If i had an a gum abscess and the pocket of fluid busted do i still need to see a dentist or did the problem fix itself?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain along with swelling indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissue leading to abscess formation.This abscess is drained in the surrounding leading to periodontal abscess.
If the abscess is drained in the oral cavity leads to nausea, vomitting.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done take an x-ray of the tooth , drainage of abscess is required, treatment of the tooth will be either RCT or extraction this depends upon the radiological report.
Start with the course of antibiotics and analgesics, take tab metrogyl.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use lukewarm saline nad antiseptic mouthrinses.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

From what you described I feel that you have an abscess which was draining [ small opening which has pus coming out] and it got burst. Though the boil or abscess has burst you still need to see a dentist. You mentioned you are having pain and swelling too. This wont subside on its own
There is a possibility that you have a decayed tooth or a gum infection which can be ascertained by clinical examination and xray. You may need to start with antibiotics and painkillers.Meanwhile you can rinse with lukewarm saline rinses.

Take Care

Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain ,swelling and pus discharge from the gums may be due to periodontal abscess developed due to-
Poor oral hygiene maintenance.
Systemic diseases like diabetes mellitus,hypertension,epilepsy.
Vitamin deficiencies.
Immunologic abnormalities.
I would suggest you to get a thorough clinical as well as radiological examination by your dentist.
Deep scaling and root planning has to be done.
The pus has to be drained and curetted.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Tarush Thakur's  Response
Thanks for writing,

Definitely you have encountered an abscess. Pus shows that the infection is active. The problem does not get fixed with this, the underlying cause of the abscess is still not removed and it might cause problems in future. You will have to visit a dentist and get clinical checkup done so that the exact cause of the abscess could be known and treated.

Moreover a course of antibiotics has to be taken to cure the infection, which your dentist will prescribe. Tylenol is just to reduce pain and manage fever.

In the mean time, continue gargle with warm saline and also use a antiseptic mouthwash 2-3 times a day.

Stay healthy,
Thank you.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor