Suggest treatment for persistent sensitivity in teeth

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Still numb, the gingiva sensation under the front teeth improved but yesterday and today i have the sensitivity there again. Its now 4 weeks.

The numbness is not total, i do have touch sensation and respond to cold/hot. The tingling sensation is getting less as well.

Thank for following up.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like an improvement, wait for a few days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

As per your explanation, it looks like there is an improvement in the symptoms...
As nerve repair is a slow process, I would suggest you wait and watch for another 2 weeks...

Hope this helps

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Thanks, but the improvement is very slight, now 4 weeks. Why does this nerve take so long to recover (it is not damaged) and why does an infection of the lower second molar causes this.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve repair takes time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Nerve repair takes time as if there is damage to the protective layer of the nerve it repairs gradually and so is the resolution of symptoms..
Nerve is a complex structure and needs time to get back to normal function..

Lower molars are supplied by inferior dental nerve and due to its close proximity to the roots of the molar teeth it is likely to get irritated due to Infection ..

Do not worry and wait for some more time and watch how the symptoms improve..

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy