Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Mild enlargement in Adenoids of a 6 years old boy

My 6-year old son has been diagnosed with allergies (all year round). He also has repeated strep throat , sinus infections, snoring, bad breath, and breathes through his mouth. He uses Nasonex, and takes Singulair and Allegra together. His adenoid x-ray showed: Mild enlargement of the adenoids . Otherwise, the soft tissues and bony structures are normal. Should we assume surgery is not needed, and that he just has really bad allergies? Can he remain on allergy meds indefinitely? Thank you!
Asked On : Wed, 11 May 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  398
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
As you said your son is having allergy,have you got tested ?
you go for blood for Eosinophilia which also cause respiratory problem.
As your son takes his breath through mouth,it can be due to enlarge adenoids.
Take opinion of ENT sp and go for his advice.
Answered: Wed, 11 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum
There are two things to be understood here:
1. Your child is having allergic rhinitis
2. Adenoid hypertrophy
The adenoids as such will be enlarged in the children, if the child is exposed to recurrent upper respiratory tract infection, the enlarged adenoids will never shrink causing much more difficulty.
In this case the adenoid enlargement has to be graded and depending upon the grading the doctor will decide whether the child can really benefit from the surgery or not.
Secondly, there is no cure for allergy only certain preventive measures can give relief from allergy. Any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered: Thu, 12 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor