• question-icon

Suggest treatment for slight pain and redness on the throat of a child

Posted on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,
My daughter is 8 years old. She complains she has a slight throat ache. I checked her throats and have seen a cluster of red dots (picture attached). I would like to point out that she is wearing removable extenders but they don't scratch the red area. What might it be?

Thank you in advance,
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi,this is Palatal petechia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Your daughter is suffering from petechial over palate.
Petechiae are submucosal hemorrhages characterized by the pooling of extravasated blood in soft tissue. The term extravasated refers that the blood has been forced out of the blood vessel into surrounding tissues..

In case of your daughter,the cause might be Viral infection of the throat as she is also suffering from slight throat ache.
It may also occur due to rupture of capillaries caused by repeated coughing, sneezing, or vomiting.
Other causes might be Viral infection like infectious mononucleosis,Streptococcal Pharyngitis,or blood coagulation disorders like Reduced Platelet count,Vitamin C or Vitamin K deficiency.

I would advise to have following blood tests:Complete blood count with Erythrocyte Sedimentation rate,Bleeding time,Clotting time,and Prothrombin time-to find out any blood coagulation abnormalities and also to find out if there is any infection.

She may take Analgesic like Ibuprofen for throat pain and Vitaminc C lozenges.
Avoid coughing or sneezing forcefully.Avoid eating very hot and hard food.

Only if the throat pain increases or she suffers from fever,then she may have a test for Streptococcal Pharyngitis(throat swab) and for Infectious mononucleosis(mono spot test).In case of Bacterial infection(like Streptococcal),she may need to start Antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query.I would be happy to answer if you have any further questions.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist