Medication for depression?

I have a question but do not know what kind of doctor you are, I need to talk to a psychiatrist, this question is for them I suffer from Depression and having a hard time right now with school work, I have no motivation at all, keep putting things off, not eating, sleeping too much, feeling really really low. This is something that I have been living with since young age. I have been hospitalized over 25 times since age 17 and I am not 40 yrs old. I am scared that I am heading to hospital soon, I do not want to go back there but I wonder if it may help me to get a break from school and other things. I do not know what to do. All I want to do is sleep and escape. This is not good, I know that I am depressed, anything I do to try to help myself such as talking to others, going for walks, going to school, hanging around people during the day, I just do not know what to do anymore, I think I need to see my family doctor, just need some advice. I do have people in my life professionals to talk too but just need to know what someone else would tell me. Sorry if this is not the right doctor to ask for advice. i know what to do if this gets worse like go to the hospital i do know what i am supposed to do if things get worse just need some advice right now to figure out what i should do.
Fri, 28 Feb 2014
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
From what you have stated it is quite clear that you are having a depressive episode. Depression can occur with regular stress and it can also occur biologically without any stress as well. You need proper treatment for the same. There are various effective therapies for depression like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine or escitalopram and they are all very effective and mostly safe. You may also require some benzodiazepines like clonazepam or lorazepam for a short period like 2-3 weeks to reduce the anxiety and help with your sleep.
If you are averse to the drug therapies then there is also an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.