Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Lower abdominal discomfort, history of urinary tract infection. Due to UTI or antibiotics?

Hi, I have been having Urinary Tract Infection for the whole of this year. Recently had it treated with Bactrim but it didn t work, so cipro did the job, now on second course. I have been having dull lower back pain for a few days in my first course then it went away after two days. Now on the second course to totally clear it, I m experiencing some lower abdominal discomfort. It s like something is pulling me on the inside. Feels more like cramps maybe but I really don t know what cramps feels like on the abdomen cos I don t usually have menstrual cramps if thats the closest I can associate cramps to. It s not pain, cos it s bearable and it s a very dull type of pain not sharp pain. Then the cramp proceeded to my lower left side. And that is some occasional sharp like pain. I m experiencing this only today. Im wondering if this could be affected by my UTI? or the antibiotics? But in the course of eating it I haven t experience much of any other kinds of symptoms as this, so Im puzzled by why I m experiencing this only when the UTI is almost cleared and in my final course of antibiotics. If it s not then what could it be? Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
You have had two episodes of UTI as you have mentioned.
And now the UTI has cleared with antibiotic treatment. But you are still having pain in lower abdomen which is dull aching sometimes sharp.
These symptoms indicate that you may have an urinary tract stone which couses down from the kidney to the bladder via ureter. Association of stone with UTI occurs quite often.
The movement through the ureter is causing the sharp pain.
First thing to do is to get an X-ray of the KUB (Kidney-ureter-bladder) region.
The subsequent investigations will be guided by the X-ray report.
Majority of stones show up in the X-ray of KUB region.
The treatment modality will depend on the site or the stone and the size of the stone.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Mon, 22 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor