Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Injury at tip of finger causing swelling and bruising, seems to be blood trapped under nail. Treatment suggestion?

My 5 year old has an injury at the tip of her pointer finger and it is swollen and bruised. I think there is also blood trapped under her nail as it is much darker. It is tender to the touch but I can tell if it is broken. Do I need to take her to the doctor to get her finger drained of the blood to relieve the pressure or is there something I can do to help at home?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Finger pulp and nail bed injuries are very painful as that area is richly supplied by nerves. The blood clot under the nail will produce excruciating pain and may need drainage.
Temporarily you can use ice compressions or wrap, keeping the finger in elevation, some analgesic antiinflammatory medications will help.
I suggest you to have an orthopedic surgeons consultation to rule out any bony injury. Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Jagannath Mangachary Eyyunni's  Response
Hi!. Thanks for your query. I suggest you see a doctor for drainingthat ,otherwise it may get infected and cause more problem Take care.
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor