Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Hubby addicted to whiskey, always fights on having a drink. Is there a way to withdraw the habit without his knowledge?

Sir Am Smitha(21 yrs), my hubby drinks alot of whisky, he does not have control on it, he is not listening to my words and whenever he drink he fights with me n his mom can i make him stop drinking alcohol without his knowledge? Please help me because i cant even live him cos i love him a lot but i get more angry when he drinks. If i ask why you drink his answer is tension cos he s a driver.
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  184
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
Hello Taslima,
If you are thinking to stop drinking habit of your husband without his knowledge, then even if you become successful with the help of drugs, that will be only temporary.
Also such drugs carry many serious side effects. Still use of a few drugs is necessary to minimize withdrawal symptoms which should be taken under medical supervision.
If your husband has developed physical & mental dependance then abrupt stoppage of the alcohol without administering proper drugs would have adverse effect on his health.
Best is talk to your husband on this subject with care & affection, gaining his confidence. If you are successful in making him ready to visit any consultant regarding this,then you will cross half distance towards your goal.
Always be positive even with your husband, Instead of talking more on bad effects of alcohol, make him to know about best aspect of life if he throws that habit.
Make him believe that he can stop drinks with some efforts to get better life style, make him busy in constructive works in free times.

Take care
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. A K M Wasim Rahman's  Response
Dear Smitha,
You can stop him without his knowledge by using some ANTICRAVING DRUGS. But the problem is if you use this it will seriously affect him if he still try to drink, this is the main mechanism of this anti craving agent. However best way is just counsell him and make him go to a doctor, then he can be treated with several drugs which will prevent any withdrawl symptom as well as counseling which will help him to resist the desire. Just wait for the proper time to convince him.
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor