• question-icon

How to treat Hepatitis C while having history of HIV positive?

Hello Doctor Samuel, I have been diagnosed with HIV since 2002 and recently diagnosed with Hepatitis C.
I feel like I need a second opinion, please I am looking for a doctor who specialities is infectious decease In Manhattan who is taking Aetna insurance, can you help please?
Wed, 3 May 2017
Hello I hope you are well. You should know that chronic infection with hepatitis C virus has many advances with respect to treatment. However, you must first know what is the state of liver function, whether or not you present cirrhosis, the genotype of your HCV infection as well as the initial viral load.

This is because the different treatment regimens vary according to the genotype of infection, however, currently these new molecules reach sustained viral responses> 90 to 95% so it´s very important that you go to a hepatologist soon.