How can swelling in the finger joints be managed while taking Methotrexate and Actemra for rheumatoid arthritis?

Hi Doc. I was diagnosed with RA about 20 years ago. Have been on several medications and I usually find I am stable ( my RA, not personally!). Recently, I have noticed my finger joints swelling and twisting in odd directions. Should I change the medications which are methotrexate and ACTEMRA? Thanks
Tue, 19 Mar 2019
Sports Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Methotrexate is a DMARD (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatoid Drug) & Tocilizumab (Actemra) is a Biological category drug, which is a common Drug of choice to Treat Moderate to Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).

However, if you are still experiencing progressive deformities in your hands, then we need to rule out the progression of the disease.

It's advisable to go for Arthritis Panel tests (Total Profile) which are available in various Pathological Labs (SRL, Dr Lal, Thyrocare, Pathkind etc).

If the Test values are elevated then we can review and change the Drugs.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Saurabh Singh Rajan, Sports Medicine Specialist
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Jay Indravadan Patel's  Response

As you been diagnosed with RA and now the joints are undergoing anatomical changes I will advise you to look forward to the physiotherapy.

As this will help you get the correct movements of the muscles and also using splints which will correct the anatomical deformation.

Usually, RA patients are advised medicine to control the inflammation, but exercise plays a decent role as per the research studies.

RA patients should focus on exercises of the small and big joints to avoid the joint to undergo deformation.

Jay Indravadan Patel, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist