Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

How can my hearing problem be solved through surgery ?

sir , i am a patient of otosclerosis from my left ear and i an deaf from my right ear , i am using hearing aid in my left ear but i am not satisfied with hearing aid so i want to have surgery . please please reply.......for this i will be thankful to you.
Asked On : Wed, 8 Feb 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Naveen,
Stapedectomy(for otosclerosis) is an outpatient surgical procedure done under local or general anesthesia. The surgeon performs the surgery through the ear canal with an operating microscope. It involves removing part or all of the immobilized stapes bone and replacing it with a prosthetic device. Modern-day stapedectomy has been performed since 1956 with a success rate of approximately 90 percent. In rare cases (about one percent of surgeries), the procedure may worsen hearing.
Normal activities are usually resumed two to four weeks after surgery.
Good luck and good health to you.
Answered: Wed, 8 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Sreenivas's  Response
hi naveen,
if the other ear is DEAF, its preferable to use a hearing aid, if you are not satisfied with the present hearing aid, go for a digital programmable hearing aid which you can modify yourself based on the surrounding noise level.
post your audiometry findings for a review
Answered: Wed, 8 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor