Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

How can depression be treated ?

i am suffering from depression . I have started drinking and smoking . I dont feel like doing anything. I sleep all the time. I can t concentrate on anything
Asked On : Thu, 15 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  81
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear Sir/ Madam
If you are suffering of persisting pervasive sadness or irritability with loss of interest or pleasure accompanied with weight loss or weight gain, insomnia or more sleep, slowness in activity,fatigue or loss of energy, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, diminished concentrate, ideation of self harm then most likely it is depression.
Drinking and smoking helps to feel better so many take it as self medication. Since withdrawal symptoms mount the problem it often lead to frequent intake which may take the form of dependence.

you should consult qualified psychiatrist to control your symptoms, at the same time try to find out any reason for being depressed and address it properly.

If your drinking pattern is that of dependence then relapse prevention measure to be taken for required period of time adequately.
Answered: Fri, 23 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Aravinda Jawali's  Response
Hello my friend,

ask yourself as to why you have been doing so. if it is beyond your control, consult a psychiatrist /or your pcp.
What you need is a brief course of counselling. if that doesnot work, you start on Antidepressant and smooth alcohol withdrawal with medication. once you are on Antidepressant like SSRI (Escitalopram 10mg mane) will help you. You may also keep away from alcohol , attend AA or Deaddiction counselling and rehabilitaion if necesary.
B complex will be necessary alongwith detaoxin initially with tab with deaddiction with minor tranquillizers tapering or phenytoin .
Depression is a chronic one and rule out anu resistant type and need to get sorted out by a Psychiatrist with a plan or CBT and get motivated and help yourself doig some research into subject.

we will be happy to guide further if you wish to do so.
Answered: Thu, 15 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor