Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

How can I reduce dental pain ?

I have a bad cavity on my lower tooth . It will most likely have to be extracted, however just a few minutes ago, I see that the area of my gum under the tooth is red and part of my lip and chin is getting numb. Is it possible I may have an abcess or an infected tooth? I have taken acetomenaphin for the pain , but it has not helped. I have a dental appt in the morning. In the meantime, what can I do to ease the pain?
Asked On : Fri, 20 Apr 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
hello, cavity in the teeth should be restored immediately , if there is sensitivity to hot and cold, then it is easy to restore normally, and if there is pain in the cavity, then this will go to RCT followed by crowning. and if you observe numbness and redness in the area near this tooth , then it means there is periapical infection and may be there is periodontal abscess as well. so i will advice you to go for a dentist check up. and radio graph can show the best results in this situation. medication will be given to you by the dentist . regards.
Answered: Mon, 30 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
as you said you have pain and your gums in that area are red and part of your lip and chin is getting numb,it is quite possible that you have an abscess because of sever infection in that tooth.............
you should go to a specialist(endodontic)
it is good you have taken a dental appointment,i will suggest you please follow all the given instructions properly..........
painkillers will give you only temporary relief..........
so please go for proper treatment.....
nothing to get worried..
take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Mon, 21 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Ankit Aggarwal's  Response
redness as described by you can be just an inflammatory response due to the abscess or due to sinus opening of the underlying abscess . also its not so uncommon to feel numbness in such cases. xray along with clinical examination will tell whether it can be saved or have to be extracted. in the mean time take paracetamol, aceclofenac and serratiopeptidase combination as painkiller and amoxycillin 250mg and dicloxacillin250mg combination thriice a day along with metronidazole 400mg thrice a day as antibiotic.

wishing you speedy recovery
with regards
Dr Ankit
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Latif's  Response
hi cavity is not an indication for dental extractions at all. there can be chances of conservative treatment for this tooth to save it with RCT or restorations. your case seems to be the deep carious lesion with periapical infection spread over the gums as well. so with visual and x-ray observations the case can be handled perfectly. in the mean time you can take an analgesic and use a mouth wash for gargles. this can help you . good luck regards.
Answered: Mon, 23 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Akash Prasad's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic!
As described by you, the redness on gums near to the decayed tooth might be a sinus opening due to a long standing Chronic Periapical abscess. It is possible to experience numbness in your chin part because of such an infection.
It is advisable to consult a local dentist atthe earliest who will tell you if a Root canal treatment can be performed or in case of grossly destructed tooth, it can be extracted.
If Acetomenaphin is not releiving your pain try a combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol. Also Antibiotics should be used- Cap Amox 500 mg Thribe daily for 5 Days after food and Tab Metrogyl 400 mg twice daily for 3 days after food.
I assume you are above 12 years of age with body weight consistent with your age and sex.
Answered: Sat, 21 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushant Benjamin's  Response
Yes, it is possible that you have an infected tooth, and if acetaminophen has not helped, then you could try a stronger NSAID like Diclofenac Sodium. Unfortunately, in some cases with serious infections, NSAIDS alome do not offer any relief, and combinatio antibiotics have to be used as well. Please consult your nearest emergency medical personel for immediate help.
All the best.
Answered: Fri, 20 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor