Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Horrible left flank pain. Diagnosed with Staphylococcus Haemolyticus infection. Contagious?

I was in the e.r. on Monday with horrible left flank pain, the er doc said nothing was wrong. I just received a call from the same er and I have a staphylococcus haemolyticus infection. She couldn't elaborate on this very well and said a prescription would be called in for me. Is this contagious? I'm still in pain accompanied with really bad headaches.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  174
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Lady Jen,

Severe left flank pain is likely always due to UTI (particularly kidney infection or pyelonephritis) and if the ER called to confirm infection with Staphlococcus haemolyticus then you need to be provided with an appropriate course of antibiotics.
Note: Staphylococcus haemolyticus is a member of the coagulase-negative staphylococci. It is part of the skin flora of humans, and its largest populations are usually found at the axillae, perineum, and inguinal areas. It also a remarkable opportunistic baterial pathogen that is well-known for its highly antibiotic-resistant phenotype.
Ones they are found in some particular organ system such as the kidneys they can result to a serious infection which might require hospitalization before treatment is initialized.
My recommendation is that urinalysis + culture+sensitivity test, blood culture+ sensitivity should be done. You should be admitted with IV treatment for a few days. Treatment should include an indicated (from culture) antibiotics, analgesic pain killer, antispasmodic and IV fluids. Of course the final decision will depend on your treating physician since he still have to evaluate your general state and decide on whether you need to be admitted or treated ambulatory.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. M Y Shareef's  Response
Hi ! You have not clearly stated whether you are a male or a female patient. If you gave your urine sample in the e.r., then possibly the er doctor is talking about the infection in the urine. If the patient is female, then he may be meaning to a pelvic infection.Your headaches are possibly due to the fever which comes with either urinary tract infection or from a pelvic infection. It is difficult to give a definite opinion now. Also you may be advised to go for an ultrasound of abdomen. Wish you an early recovery.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor