Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

History of Bartholin gland cyst. Burning sensation, lump, soreness, bleeding during sex. Negative for chlamydia. What could be wrong?

hi im 35 yrs old and have a history of bartholin gland cyst .i had a marsupalization about 12 yrs ago and for the past year that side stays irritated feeling. It has a sharp burning sensation that shoots through the left side where the cyst use to be. Every now and then it has a small lump again when I have intercourse.. It will stay sore for a day or so and go away. Everytime I go to the dr they say its nothing and now a new symptom of bleeding with intercourse. Just a small pinkish color amount. I have been checked for chlamydia and gon are negative. I dont understand what could be wrong
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Jan 2016
Dear Friend,

Your history of Bartholin's abscess suggests quite a few things.

Bartholin's abscess is usually due to sexually transmitted infections, most commonly being Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia. Your tests for Chlamydia are negative. What about Gonorrhoea?

Burning micturition, again swelling at the Bartholin's site and pain at the region indicates that you have got infection at the Bartholin's Gland. Though due to the marsupialization, the gland now does not exist, the tissue is infected. Particularly appearance of the small lump after intercourse is suggestive of Bartholin's gland tissue.

I would suggest you to get your urine examined first. If it shows infection, try to identify the causative bacteria by culture and sensitivity test on urine which in addition will reveal to which antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive. Also get the swab of the Bartholin's gland tissue (when your infection is active)for culture and sensitivity.

I have got a feeling that you have Gonorrhoeal infection; however tests will reveal. If it is gonorrhoea, both the sexual partners will have to undergo the treatment.

Your new symptom of bleeding after the intercourse needs further more explanation. Does the bleeding come from within the vagina or is it from the Bartholin's site? If it is from Bartholin's site, it should stop with the control of infection. If it is vaginal bleeding, you need to report to the Gynaecologist to undergo thorough investigations to rule out any lesion on the mouth of the uterus, particularly cervical cancer.

Please report all this to the Gynaecologist and not the family physician. You may further continue with me for more consultation by asking me a direct question after you have your suggested reports ready. I shall be available for you.

I hope this advice will help you for further management.
Answered: Sun, 13 Sep 2015
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor