• question-icon

High eosinophil count. Reason? Normal stool test. What further tests to be done?

My husband is having higher eosinophil count (15) but he is not having any any symptoms like asthma or parasitic infection or any skin infection related to any alergy. Recently he went through regular test and it has been found. Stool test was also done but no parasite fount. No sadow detected in chest and he has never had fever and ffatigueness. I want to know the reason behind this abnormal growth of Eosinophil in WBC. Is it because of genetic reason as his father is having asthma? Can it cause towards any kind of Cancer? How to bring the count down? What other test can be done to know if it is going toward fatal cancer?
Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
high eosiniphil counts normally seen in allergic conditions, parasitic infections, larva migrans and asthma. However, if this is not the case, there are some blood cancers or malignancies that could present themselves with high eosinophil counts. This can also be seen in Hodgkin Lymphomas and in sarcoidosis. I suggest you visit a hematologist to redo the test and confound the results with those from and blood film. Remember that doing another complete blood test to confirm these results could also be very useful.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.