Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Heart palpitations. Do i need to go in for Advanced Heart Checkup?

Hi, my mom has heart palpitations for some time now (few years), which happens a few times in a month. She takes some medication and it goes away. I was planning to get comprehensive health checkup done for them (a senior citizen health checkup) offered by a hospital (Indus Health Plus). They also offer a Advanced Heart Checkup, which includes CT Coronary Angiography , but it is quite expensive. Given that my mom has heart palpitations, should I go in for this Advanced Heart Checkup? Thanks, -ranjan
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist, Interventional 's  Response
Hi Ranjan,
The CT Coronary angiography is not the solution to the complaints your mother is having. However she does require a detailed cardiac assessment which would include an echocardiogram and most importantly a holter recording or event monitor recording if available.
These tests will point towards the cause of the palpitations which once diagnosed appropriate steps can be taken to manage it.
Answered: Sun, 5 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Sukhvinder Singh's  Response
Dear Mr. Ranjan.
Thanks for your query to us.
I am sorry to say but Ready-made tests are no solution for any medical problem. If your mother has palpitations and she is symptomatic for them , foremost thing is to know what they are (What kind of rhythm disturbance they represent). If you can get an ECG done at time of palpitations , it will reveal a lot of things and rest of the work-up will depend on them. Other thing which will help in deciding the work-up is her cardiac examination, which your cardiologist can do in office only. i hope you got the insight into her problem.
Feel free to discuss further.
sukhvinder singh
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor