Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Headache, dizziness, tiredness, restless leg, low iron, taking b12 shots. Cause?

My Mom is in her early 70 s. About every 6 weeks she begins to feel bad maybe best described as flu like symptoms. Headache , dizziness , always tired. She goes to bed for days. Lately, during these spells she has fallen. She will not call anyone and stays on the floor for hours at a time - can be somewhat disoriented. She does tend to have low iron and is taking b12 shots fairly often. She also has restless leg and is on meds for that and meds for blood pressure . Dr.s do not seem to know what to do. Any ideas?
Asked On : Thu, 31 May 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  169
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response

welcome to hcm

thanks for the query

does she taking any medication for the iron deficiency anemia?

anemia is one of the most common cause of dizziness,weakness, consult your doctor about it and take proper medication

also try to find out the cause of it like chronic occult blood loss in stool,gastric ulcer or sometimes find out the cause of it.

once the anemia is cured you will see the improvement in all these symptoms.also test her blood pressure and blood sugar level frequently.because low bp and sugar can also she diabetic and on medications for it?

hope this information will be helpful to you

take care

Answered: Thu, 31 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thanks for your query. I appreciate your concern but would like to have a complete workup of your mother before jumping to any conclusion. You mention that she gets, headache, dizziness, tired feeling, "restless legs", high blood pressure and falls down. You also mention that she has "low iron" and it taking B12 shots. What about her mediciines for high blood pressure?

In my opinion you need to consult a discuss with your physician who may involve a neurologist and/or a cardiologist to do a complete work-up. She may be suffering from transient ischaemic attacks which can be diagnosed by relevant investigations like doppler study of the carotid arteries. However I will not jump to any conclusion till a complete work-up has been organized.

Wishing your mother all the best.
Answered: Thu, 31 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Omar Ali Batouk's  Response
Hello :
I hink she needs to see some doctors who is specialized i Geriatric medicine ( Medical care for elderly).
She needs more medical care for now to find out what is going on in general, she might have by now more than an issue.
Headache, dizziness and some times disoriented goes with central nervous system ( which is not my field) I would suggest this to be reviewed by medical colleague instead of Ear, Nose .... as it is labelled .
Take care
Answered: Thu, 31 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor