Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Having occasional abdominal pain, loose stools with mucus, foul smelling gas. History of anal fissures. Colonoscopy required?

Have had for a few years symptoms of occasional abdominal pain (worse with stress and relieved by gas or stool), loose stools sometimes with mucus, foul gas. No weight loss or crippling pain, no fevers, appetite remains the same. Went to GI doctor for recurring anal fissure . Normal CBC and mild elevated crp of 12.2 (0.1 - 8.2) and sed rate of 18 (0-10). Why did they recommend a colonoscopy?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

If you are 50 or older, such symptoms should always be checked with colonocsopy because with age of 50 colon cancer risk rises significantly. And the main intention of colonoscopy is to rule the cancer out.
Cancer usually does not give any pain in early stages and gives hardly any symptoms. Usually when the symptoms appear, it is quite advanced.

If you are young person, inflammatory bowels disease can be the reason of your symptoms (Crohns disease) and this can usually be verified with colonoscopy. Symptoms can be just like yours.

Moreover, your symptoms do last for years and does not seem to get better. So the colonoscopy decision is very reasonable.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of irritable bowel syndrome predominant diarrhea type or viral gastroenteritis.
Presence of frequent loose motions with excessive flatulence suggest the diagnosis.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, thyroid profile, blood sugar and serum calcium.
You should also go for colonoscopy and UGI endoscopy with biopsy of duodenum.
You should maintain your hydration with potassium rich solution.
You should avoid milk and all milk related products.
Treatment depends on the diagnosed disease.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Fri, 22 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor