Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having constant diarrhea and vomiting. Should I consult a doctor?

Hi, I believe I may have a really nasty stomach virus. I have had constant (every hour) diarrhea since Sunday and last night around 6 pm I began violently vomiting . In the beginning it was every 30 min from 6-8:30 and then since it has been every two hours. Basically I throw up (and do the other), drink water lay back down and repeat. My question is, do I need to go to the ER? When do I know?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
You are most likely suffering GIT infection Gastroenteritis with dehydration.It may be due to virus or sometime it is bacterial also ?Cholera.
You should go to ER and may require IV fluid as there is vomiting and fluid and electrolyte loss will cause low blood pressure and if severe may affect your kidney function.
Treatment is prevention of dehydration .
A work up of Complete blood count, Blood Urea, S. Creatinine,Electrolytes and blood sugar is required along with Stool R&m and a hanging drop study to rule out Cholera.
Appropriate antibiotics and anti emetic and anti secretary drugs will help a lot and you will recover in few days.
Please use boiled and cooled water and ORS in the mean time.
Please take care
Good LUck
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor