Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have heavy periods. Had unprotected sex. Experienced cramps in lower abdomen. Want to know if i am pregnant? Concerned?

I usually have very heavy periods due to my fibroid tumors. On the 22nd of March I had unprotected sex, and pretty sure I was ovulating. When Monday came around I started experiencing symptoms that I looked up, the Internet said that it was early pregnancy symptoms. I had the symptoms all the way up to Sunday, later Sunday night I realized that I was bleeding but not as heavy and not as much as my periods usually are. I'm 16 years old, I wanted to take a pregnancy test but my Family member told me it was to soon to tell and that I should just wait until the 20th of April. Last night I experienced something different, I couldn't sleep or stand up due to the fact that I had excruciating pain on the left side of my lower abdomin. My cramps usually are severe, but I would use things over the counter to stop the pain. This particular night I took two over the counter meds but the pain remained until I went to sleep. I awoke this morning and the cramps came back just the same. I'm scared because I don't know if I'm pregnant, and if I am is there anything doing harm to the baby. One more thing before I go, all while the severe cramps that I received last night it just looked like a light period which is unusual to me. I have skipped months in my period before, so it's like missing months of my period is normal to me. Please help me.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  13
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are early detection tests that can be used to determine if you are pregnant. These tests detect lower levels of HCG in the urine and can therefore be used to diagnose pregnancy in the early stages.
You can purchase one of these tests from your local pharmacy.You can also consider a blood HCG level which can also provide you with a definitive answer.

It would be best if you start on some form of birth control if the test comes back negative. It would reduce the chances of an unplanned pregnancy.
Birth control can come in different forms: condoms (which would protect you from sexually transmitted infections as well), oral contraceptive pill, patch, injection which is given every 3 months.

I hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor