• question-icon

Suggest treatment for stomach cramps and diarrhea

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I woke up at 3 AM this morning to stomach cramps, went to bathroom and I started sweating profusely , had a bowel movement that turned into diarrhea , I felt so bad and pain was severe and by 7:30 the diarrhea turned into bloody mucous stool, about every 20-30 mins I will get a severe cramp and have to go to bathroom where all that comes out is about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bloody mucous,
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'd better seek medical attention

Detailed Answer:

your symptoms sound a lot like a serious gastroenteritis but other disorders are also possible like diverticulitis, ischemic colitis, inflammatory colitis, gastrointestinal bleeding, etc. Some of them are important and require urgent treatment, so prompt investigation is recommended.

Some clues to the cause of this disorder may be the following:
- fever usually accompanies inflammatory disorders like inflammatory colitis, many cases of gastroenteritis, serious diverticulitis, etc. No fever is expected in gastrointestinal bleeding or ischemic colitis.
- constant pain: pain that comes (before passing stool) and goes (after it) is not worrisome by itself. Constant pain may indicate peritoneal inflammation or a focus of infection like in diverticulitis.
- a close contact with gastroenteritis: when a close contact (like a member of your family) gets sick and has similar symptoms, a gastroenteritis is very likely.

The doctor can assess your condition with clinical examination and certain tests (like a complete blood count, urea, creatinine, C-reactive protein and other tests). An X-ray may provide additional clues as to the patency and good functionality of the bowels. Finally a CT-scan may be required in some cases and is the best diagnostic modality for disorders like diverticulitis.

So in conclusion, I suggest an immediate visit to your doctor or the ER for assessment.
I hope you find this information helpful!
Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis