• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain and cramps

Posted on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I get a HORRIBLE pain in my stomach above my navel about every 2 weeks (but can't really predict it). Nothing relieves the pain when it hits. It lasts about 5-6 hours per episode. When it hits I feel like I have to go to the bathroom but I don't have to go, last time I threw up about 6 times. I can only walk if I force myself because the pain is so severe. It feels like a severe cramp that just won't relax. I have had to me leave work early at least 4 times. It's happened at least 1-2 times a month since last Summer. I keep putting off getting it checked because when it doesn't hurt I think I can control it and there is no pain at all, but I know it's not going to heal itself. I'm thinking Lactose intolerance. However, there is a knot in that spot about the size of a small baseball. I can only feel it when I'm standing. I went to a Gastro Dr. in Dec. She examined me, pushed around my stomach, said UmHum, made me think she knew what it was. Wanted me to get an Endoscopy and Ultrasound. When those facilities called with appt. info, they wanted $2100. for my part, so I declined. I do realize further examination will probably be needed. I just don't want to spend tons of money if I only need to skip dairy. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be Hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
A swelling which is visible on standing and disappearing in lying down posture could be a Hernia.If bowel gets into the sac, there will be pain.
If it is blocked,it may lead to Intestinal obstruction causing vomiting, Abdominal distension, constipation etc.
Clinical examination ,Ultrasound abdomen will give a clue. If there is no hernia,then you should be treated in lines of Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
I prescribe Pre and probiotic capsule twice daily after food along with antispasmodic tablet containing Drotaverine to my patients with similar complaints.
Stop dairy products for few weeks.and see.the response.
Nothing to worry.
You should consult a General surgeon or Surgical Gastrointerologist , get examined clinically and proceed further.
Hope I answered your query.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon