Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Not on birth control. Should I take plan B?

Hello, today I had protected sex with my boyfriend however the condom broke, after we felt it broke we IMMEDIATELY removed it and stopped. It has been 5 days since the last day of my period.(June 29th) My boyfriend did not cum however, their could be a change of pre-cum. I am not on bc, should I get plan B. Thanks so much.
Asked On : Sun, 8 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Normally the fertile days are around ovulation which usually occurs 14 days before the first day of your period. In general, the fertile period in a cycle starts from the number of day calculated by shortest cycle minus 18 days and ends on the number of day calculated by longest cycle minus 11 days. So, if your shortest cycle is 28 days and longest is 35 days, your fertile days in a cycle can vary from (28-18) = 10th day to (35-11) = 24th day, where first day of your cycle is the first day of your period.
As of today, you would be on the x day of your cycle, where x=length of your last cycle+5 days. Assuming the length of your last cycle as 5 days, it may be the 10th day of your cycle, which brings you to the first day of fertile period assuming your shortest cycle to be 28 days.
Now, even if your boyfriend did not ejaculate, there is a chance to semen being present in the prostatic fluid which is secreted before the semen.
If you do not wish to get pregnant, you can try emergency contraception which is available over the counter in the market (levonorgestrel 0.75 2 doses 12 hours apart, where 1st dose should be taken within first 72 hours of unprotected sex). However, this should not become a routine practice as it disturbs the regular cycles. Please don't consider this a prescription. The information is for general awareness. I would recommend you to visit a OBGYN for further evaluation.
Hope that helps.
Take care and be well.
Answered: Sun, 8 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor