Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Had accident previously. Now, having lump, swelling in the wrist. Pain radiating to upper arm. Suggestions?

Hello, I tripped in my daughter s room last night, almost 24 hours ago. It was pitch black and I broke my fall by landing palms down on hardwood floors. My left palm has a bruise that runs from the wrist to the bottom of the thumb . It is sore, but okay. My concern is my right hand. In 1993 I was involved in a car accident and my right wrist ended up with TFCC. Doctors at the time never heard of it (I was in a very small town) and they wanted to treat it with surgery used for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome . I refused. My hand has never been the same, of course! Okay, back to my problem today! Since the fall, my left hand hurt worse last night, but just feels bruised today. My right hand, now has a lump with bruising and swelling from my wrist to the bottom of my thumb. My thumb is swollen about 1 1/2 times bigger as the left thumb. I can still move it, but it causes pain radiating all the way to my upper arm. Sharp, shooting pains. I have a very high pain tolerance , so I don t know if I should waste my time getting an xray or not. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  150
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to HCM

If there is any bruise or other complication at the past TFCC injury, it should be detected as early as possible to do good the cause. Plain radiography may not be able to detect it. You need to have n arthrography X-ray taken ( dye has to be injected at the wrist).

Take NSAIDS to get temporary relief from pain and inflammation. Get clinically examined, you may need corticosteroid injections urgently. It is important to assess the extent of injury, torn ligaments, blood supply problem, bone fracture, degree of wrist instability ( motion and strength ), nerve compression, etc.

Your treatment will depend upon the diagnosis, whether you need a surgery/graft or the acute trauma can be made well by simple manipulation. Neglect may lead to symptoms getting worst.

Co-operate with the treating doctor, take care.
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor