Is a ganglion cyst on the hand associated with carpel tunnel syndrome?

Question
I thInk that I have a ganglion cyst on the back of my hand. I have numbness in some fingers and in a specific area along the lower part of my arm. Have difficulty writing. I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome, but have no pain and do not do anything that would cause carpel tunnel. They seem to dismiss the swelling on the back of my hand.
What do you suggest that I do.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress can provide relief

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two independent pathologies involved. The ganglion cyst possibly has nothing to do with the carpal tunnel syndrome which is an independent entity. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when a nerve gets entrapped amidst surrounding structures. Hot compress usually helps to relieve associated edema which may otherwise cause the surrounding structures to swell and compress the nerve. Sometimes diuretics like hydrochlorthiazide can be used for the same effect of shrinking the swollen structures. However, I think that you should see a plastic surgeon and get the situation evaluated. Based on that it may be determined whether you need surgical intervention.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Is a ganglion cyst on the hand associated with carpel tunnel syndrome? 7 hours later
Thank you - I have no symptoms of pain, or tingling or burning in forearm or hand but the arm does feel weakness along the median nerve/muscle and my fingers are stiff when I do tasks such as using a pen, shaving, coming my hair, or writing this note.

What may these symptoms indicate? What do you recommend I do to help relieve this discomfort? I worry about losing use of the arm, is that a realistic concern?

Thank you for your time and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get an EMG-NCV done

Detailed Answer:
I wonder that if you do not have the symptoms why do you feel that you have carpal tunnel syndrome? If you feel the weakness it would be advisable to get an EMG-NCV (electromyogram and Nerve conduction velocity test) for the upper limb in question. It is only based on the findings that steps can be delineated. The worry about loss of one arm is not realistic and you need not worry.