Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Gallbladder cancer, jaundice. Inserted plastic stent. Insert metallic stent instead?

Hi Doctor My Father in-law is struggling from gall bladder cancer . His age is about 59, the doctor inserted the plastic stent . Now its been 2-3 months the infection has spread everywhere and still he has got jaundice and other sympotoms of cancer. So, the doctor says we have to remove that insert metallic stent. Could you please suggest me whether to go about it or major operation is better? Thanks, Chandrashekar
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Oncologist, Surgical 's  Response
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your father in law's problem. In his current state it is not possible to have a major operation (due to the infection and high jaundice). Sometimes a stent is responsible for the infection and that is why the doctor wants to change it to a metallic stent, which is more durable and can help in reducing the jaundice.
Once the jaundice subsides, a major surgery can be contemplated. In the meantime, please give him lot of fluids and sugar rich food.

Hope he gets well soon.
Answered: Fri, 15 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor