Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Fell, severe pain in chest. Rib injury or torn muscle?

5 days ago I was giving a friend a piggy back ride, I felt like he was slipping so I hoisted him up higher, this caused me to lose my balance. When I fell down I didn t want to rip my pants so I tried to fall as straight down as I could, at the same time as soon as I did I threw the person to the side, sort of like a barrel roll, tried to minimize his injuries (have some parkour experience). Immediatelly after this I felt a tremendous pain in my chest (mid left chest areat, it is very localised). My friend asked me if I was ok and off course I said I was and I got up. I actually was ok but I was still in pain, but the pain was actually miniscule. That was until I went to sleep, I found out that lying down was extremely painful, up until then I could do anything, even dance in a club and I can still do it today, but lying down is extremely painful unless I m in a very certain position. I am in pain when I stand, but it is a mild stabbing pain, I am in pain when I run and the pain is a bit tougher, I am in very little pain when I sit, I am in excrutiating pain when I try to lie down, it becomes worse when I was lying down for a few hours. I haven t had a good night sleep in a week. Is this typical of a rib injury? Or did I tear a muscle? Is there another way to solve this without pills or do I just have to wait it out. I really don t want PAIN pills, I will not take them, if I must suffer without them I will, but I do not want PAIN pills, I can not be trusted with pain pills.
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  98
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing. From the description it looks like you might have fractured the rib during the fall which typically produces all the symptoms you have mentioned. So,if you are not in a mood to take any analgesic pills, then the only option available is "ice packing compressions" which will alleviate your pain. You can even try analgesic gels also. I suggest you to get an Xray done for your chest to confirm the rib injury. Avoid lying on the injured side. Rib fractures will unite within 3-4 weeks and doesn't cause any problem. Hope its clear . Good day
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor