• question-icon

Suggest treatment for a bruise on the thigh

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am a 53 year old female tile installer, work very hard 5 days a week. Monday night I took my grandkids to the movies,( Transformers ) while jogging up to the top seat at theatre my stride got messed up and I fell hard on my side . The pain seems to be getting worse in the rib area, I have a huge bruise on my upper thigh, medium bruise on my ribs, small bruises on my lower arm and wrist . Yesterday I had a popping feeling in my ribs when I was a bit out of breath in the heat of the day. At 5'7" & 159.5 lbs I have never broken anything. Do. Keep in mind my job consists of heavy lifting, bending,twisting it hurts to look over my shoulder when I pull out into traffic.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X rays to rule out a fracture / pain relief

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

X ray of the chest is required to look for a possible rib fracture. The treatment is conservatI've but pain relief is important as inadequate ventilation due to pain can lead to complications of atelectasis.

The shoulder also needs to be examined for any dislocation and if required, immobilised with a sling to help with pain relief.

Let me know if you have any query

wishing you best of health

Thanks
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil