Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Feet burned while starting bonfire. Swelling in burn causing pain. Wound cleaned applied silver silvadene

I burned both of my feet while starting a bonfire. Went to the ER 24 hours later and was told I had deep 2nd degree burns on the top of my left foot (3 inches in length and width) and on the back of my right leg just above the ankle to midway of calf (4 inches length and width) with large amounts of dead skin piled up on the side of both burns. The ER doctor just cleaned up the wound and applied silver silvadene then wrapped both in gauze . Discharge d irections were to not pop blisters of course and to continue silvadene and gauze wrapping. It s been 1week today and the scabs are literally bright light green and have a leathery look to them. When I remove the gauze it has green and yellow color mixed in with the silvadene cream. There is a lot of swelling in the burn on the tip of my left foot that is causeing a lot of pain. Not to mention the horrible blood pooling that is going on in the feet after I sit or lay down then try to stand up. The pain is excruciating. I have a very high pain tolerance buy this swelling and change in pressure of feet is just horrible. Does this all sound normal.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  177
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

I am sorry for you. Presence of severe pain with swelling are signs of inflammation. It is important to rule out presence of active infection.

Burn injuries can easily get infected. Bacterial contamination from the surrounding area are the commonest cause. Whilst silver sulfadiazine is good antiseptic, I feel you need to be on a good antibiotic such as broad spectrum cephalosporin.

If I was to be your treating physician, I would suggest you frequent dressing - probably done at a nearest nursing office and put you on a course of antibiotic such as cefotaxime along with a strong antinflammatory analgesic like diclofenac sodium. I also would like to monitor your blood sugars.

If the healing is not optimal, a plastic surgery referral is entailed.

Since the healing is not good and you are pain, report back to your treating physician and discuss about the aforementioned options.

Hope this helps.

Answered: Thu, 21 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor