Suggest treatment for throat infection while on Augmentin

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am have throat infection, Throat swab detected klebsiella pneumoniae gram negative bacteria. Augmentin was sensitive, I had taken Augmentin 650 thric a day for 10 days, but on repeating throat swap same bacteria re appear. than my doctor suggested moxifloxacin 400 OD for 10 days ( not in throat swab list). Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can take it

Detailed Answer:
Klebshiella pneumonia infection is treated with

third-generation cephalosporins (eg, cefotaxime, ceftriaxone), carbapenems (eg, imipenem/cilastatin), aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin, amikacin), and quinolones(Moxifloxacin, ofloxacin.)

Treating with antibiotics sensitive in the lab report is the ideal way i follow in my practice. But as Mofloxacin is also a choice of drug for Klebshiella pneumonia infection. you can take it with out any worries.
Cause always treating doctor is the one who can take appropriate decision as he is physically examining and analysing the present condition of your infection.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana