Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Exploratory Brain Surgery For A Vp Shunt. What Are The Reasons For Surgery? Results?

My friend just had something exploratory done to his brain at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota . They went up through his neck with the little camera trying to figure out why he was having numbness and visual problems. In the process of the exploring, they suddenly saw something that sent him into surgery for a vp shunt. He was in surgery for 9 hours, and is now in ICU . They said that the next 72 hours will tell how well the surgery went. What are the reasons they have done this, and what are the possible outcomes (good and Bad) that we could see after 72 hours in ICU?
Mon, 28 Apr 2014
Report Abuse
Neurologist 's  Response
Dear
it seems that the doctor have seen something obstructive at the third ventricul so the shunt need absolutely to be done
It need time to see if the shunt is effective or not, that's the reason they told you to wait 72h.
If the radiological examination will show regres you have nothing to worry, he will be fine.
Best regards
Dr Eris
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in


Recent questions on Icu


Loading Online Doctors....
Exploratory Brain Surgery For A Vp Shunt. What Are The Reasons For Surgery? Results?

Dear it seems that the doctor have seen something obstructive at the third ventricul so the shunt need absolutely to be done It need time to see if the shunt is effective or not, that s the reason they told you to wait 72h. If the radiological examination will show regres you have nothing to worry, he will be fine. Best regards Dr Eris