Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Experiencing right shoulder pain, numbness in fingers. Had ultrasound, diagnosed with torn rotator cuff. How to cure?

Hello Doctor
I am a healthy 64 year old male with no history of medical problems of any kind.

Began experiencing right shoulder pain and has become more severe. Following an ultrasound I was diagnsed with a torn rotator cuff...the one at the top....doesn't really rotate like the others. I also have numbness of the two outer fingers in my right hand. Pain is most severe in the morning on arising

Had an MRI on the shoulder and neck last weeek and awaiting results.....what is the likely outcome?

Is therapy the only option? Anti inflmatories have little effect it seems.

Grateful for an opinion.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM. As your ultrasound diagnosis clearly depicts a rotator cuff tear, there is no role for conservative management. Because if you neglect this problem, you will definitely have painful limitation of shoulder movements. I suggest you to undergo "arthroscopic cuff repair/reconstruction" which gives excellent outcomes. Hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Rheumatologist Dr. Divya Agarwal's  Response
the mri will probably show the same thing, the options are surgery or may be physiotherapy.
also graded exercises for the shoulder should probably be helpful.
you need to take opinion of orthopedic surgeon for the above problem.
in the mean time you may need to be on proper doses of anti inflammatory medication.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor