Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Expecting twins. One baby trisomy 21 at 1:257. Considering invasive test. Opinion?

Im expecting twins. At 13 weeks I had our NT done for twin 1= 1.89mm and twin 2= 2.13mm. However, twin one the trisomy 21 is 1:359 (less than 1:300- seems to be low risk); twin two the trisomy 21 is 1:257 (more than 1:300- high risk). Im 39 years old/ third pregnancy, natural conception . We are considering about the invasive test. What do you think about these results? Thanks, Gisele.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2013
thank you for your query.
As you are 39 years old, and there is a high risk of trisomy 21 in one twin, plus multiple pregnancies have higher abnormality rates than singleton ones, considering all these factors, I would advise you to consult a Genetic specialist and consider getting invasive testing done in the form of amniocentesis.
This would reassure you completely.
take care.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor